Overview & Application Process
Affirm is a financing alternative to credit cards and other credit payment products. Affirm offers instant financing for purchases online. With Affirm, you can buy and receive your purchase now, and pay for it in fixed monthly installments over the course of three, six, or twelve months.
- Here is what Affirm offers:
- Buy and receive your purchase now, and pay for it over three, six, or twelve months. This allows you to split up the price of your purchase into fixed payment amounts that fit your monthly budget.
- If Affirm approves you for a loan, Affirm discloses your loan terms before you make your purchase. You'll know exactly how much you'll owe each month, the number of payments you must make, and the total amount of interest you'll be paying over the course of the loan. Affirm does not charge hidden fees.
- The application process is secure and instantaneous. Affirm asks you for a few pieces of information. After you provide this information, Affirm will notify you of the loan amount you're approved for, the interest rate, and the number of months you will have to pay off your loan, all within seconds.
- You don't need to have a credit card to make a purchase. Affirm lends to its partners directly on your behalf.
- Affirm bases its loan decision not only on your credit score, but also on several other data points about you. You may be eligible for Affirm financing even if you don't have an extensive credit history.
- Affirm will send you email and SMS reminders in advance of your upcoming payment. You can also enable “Autopay” to schedule automatic monthly payments on your loan.
- To apply for Affirm financing, you musht:
- Be 18 years or older.
- Provide a valid U.S. mobile number and agree to receive SMS texts. The mobile phone account must be registered in your name. Affirm cannot accept VOIP numbers at this time.
- Provide your full name, email address, date of birth, and the last 4 digits of your social security number to help us verify your identity.
Unlike a credit card, Affirm is not a revolving line of credit. While customers can take out multiple Affirm loans at once, each Affirm loan application is evaluated separately as a closed-end transaction. However, an application from a returning customer may be denied if that customer has failed to repay other Affirm loans on time or if the customer shows excessive borrowing behavior.
Yes, when you first apply for financing with Affirm, they perform a ‘soft’ credit check to help verify your identity and determine your eligibility for financing. This ‘soft’ credit check will not affect your credit score.
If you apply for more loans with Affirm, they may perform additional ‘soft’ credit checks to ensure that they offer you the best financing options possible.
Yes, protecting your personal information is very important to Affirm. They encrypt all sensitive data including social security numbers. They also maintain physical, electronic, and procedural safeguards to protect your information. They do not sell or rent your information to anyone.
Please contact Affirm via email at email@example.com or by calling (855) 423-3729 for assistance on denials.
Payments & Refunds
Before each payment is due, Affirm will send you reminders via email and SMS that will include the installment amount that is coming due and the due date. You can also sign up for autopay so you don't risk missing a payment.
- Please follow these steps to make a payment:
- Go to www.affirm.com/account
- You will be prompted to enter in your mobile number where you will be sent a personalized security pin.
- Enter this security pin into the form on the next page and click "Sign In."
- You'll now see a list of your loans and payments coming due. Click on the loan payment you would like to make.
- You can make a payment utilizing a debit card or ACH bank transfer.
A refund will post to your Affirm account if we process your refund request. In the event that we issue you store credit instead of a refund, you will still be responsible for paying off your Affirm loan.
If you have already made loan payments or a downpayment, Affirm will issue you a refund credit to the bank account or debit card that you used to make the payments. You should see a refund credit within 3 to 10 business days, depending on your bank's processing time.
You should see a refund from Affirm post within 3 to 10 business days, depending on your bank's processing time.
Unfortunately, you cannot edit your order after you have confirmed your loan. If you would like to add items to your purchase, you can apply for another loan with Affirm or use a different payment method.
Refunds can only be processed within 30 days of the date your order is delivered.
Interest Rates & Fees
Affirm loans vary between 0% and 30% APR simple interest. The corresponding finance charge is the only fee associated with an Affirm loan - we don’t charge late fees, service fees, prepayment fees, or any other hidden fees. Affirm always strives to be more transparent and fair than any other form of financing.
Affirm calculates the annual percentage rate (APR) of a loan using simple interest , which equals the rate multiplied by the loan amount and by the number of months the loan is outstanding. This is different from compound interest , in which the interest expense is calculated on the loan amount and also the accumulated interest on the loan from previous periods. You can think about compound interest as “interest on interest,” which can make the your loan amount grow larger and larger. Credit cards, for example, use compound interest to calculate the interest expense on outstanding credit card debt.**NOTE: For an example, see “Why Use Affirm vs a Credit Card” below**
When determining your annual percentage rate (APR), Affirm evaluates a number of factors including your credit score and many other pieces of data about you. If you finance future purchases with Affirm, you may be eligible for a lower APR depending on your financial situation at the time of purchase.
When considering Affirm, you should carefully evaluate the loan terms Affirm offers you and determine whether the monthly payments fit your budget.